What is SFTP
The SSH File Transfer Protocol (also Secret File Transfer Protocol, Secure FTP, or SFTP) is a network protocol that provides file access, file transfer, and file management functionality over any reliable data stream. This protocol assumes that it is run over a secure channel, such as SSH, that the server has already authenticated the client, and that the identity of the client user is available to the protocol.
You can use command line sftp from your Unix account, or from your Mac OS X or Unix workstation. Using graphical SFTP clients simplifies file transfers by allowing you to transmit files simply by dragging and dropping icons between windows. FileZilla is free, open source, cross-platform FTP software. It supports FTP, SFTP, and FTPS (FTP over SSL/TLS). In this tutorial we will see how to use SFTP to transfer files using FileZilla.
How to use SFTP to transfer files using FileZilla
- Download FileZilla client from filezilla-project.org, and then install it. The FileZilla binaries are available for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X.
- Launch FileZilla client, click the menu "File -> Site Manager".
- Click the button "New Site", and then give a name.
- Enter the domain name, then select "SFTP - SSH File transfer Protocal" in Server Type option.
- Select "Normal" in Logon Type, then enter the SSH username and password.
- Click Connect
To ensure that you are connected via SFTP, you should see a lock icon in the FileZilla status bar
Other resources about SFTP
- Free download FileZilla, the free, open-source FTP client - Download FileZilla client at FreshShare.
- How to transfer files with FileZilla from command line? - If you have many files and want to upload then to a ftp server from command line in batch, these are the command-line arguments for FileZilla Client
- Linux / Unix Command: sftp: sftp is an interactive file transfer program, similar to ftp, which performs all operations over an encrypted ssh transport. It may also use many features of ssh, such as public key authentication and compression. sftp connects and logs into the specified host then enters an interactive command mode.
- FileZilla Wiki: The FileZilla Wiki is a documentation base aimed at helping those that want to download, install, compile and use the FileZilla Client and FileZilla Server software to transfer files across the Internet.
- FTP software: Free download FTP software at FreshShare